Friday, September 5, 2014

On Packing & Beating Jet lag

I'm leaving on a jet plane tomorrow. The last time I did a half way round the world trip, was because I had spent a rather large sum on getting my pet back to South Africa. I decided to save some cash and get the cheapest flight back. It took me about two days and four flights to get back to Johannesburg. This time I'm off to the US of A via Dubai. I am a lot older than I was when I did that trip, so I wanted to see how I could make my flight there fun.

http://www.freegreatimages.com/i-want-to-travel-the-world-tumblr/
I want to go to there. :)

I like to think I'm good at packing. The last time my BFF and I went to Cape Town for a long weekend I only brought a backpack. Paulo Coelho describes the luggage you carry around with you as the "weight of your vanity" and I wanted to carry as little of that as possible.

So here are some ideas on how to pack lightly and beat jet lag. I'm writing this before, so will have to let you know afterwards if it was successful or you can just take my word for it. :) 


ON PACKING

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=travel+suitcase&client=firefox-a&hs=SfC&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=24cJVOK-Mce47AaQ0YHwCQ&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1152&bih=583#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=BSeancpdEm9GiM%253A%3B9urEZlh75AmP_M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftimtyson.us%252Fwordpress%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F01%252Ftravel_suitcase.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.timtyson.us%252Farchives%252F2014%252F01%252Fnorthern-arizona-day-one-travel-to-the-grand-canyon%252F%3B297%3B275

  • allocate a settling fund to buy necessities when you get to your destination. This means that you don't have to worry about packing everything for your trip. It also means that if you do forget stuff, you can just say that it was part of the plan all along.
  • pack the things you regularly wear and narrow it down, twice. We always end up taking way too many clothes anyway. 
  • roll your clothes. This saves so much space, you can easily see everything when you open your case and I have found this doesn't crease them either. 
  • pack a sarong or large scarf. You never know when this will come in handy - you can use it to keep yourself warm, as a headband, shawl or little blanket. 
  • take comfy shoes. Going abroad usually means you will be a tourist and will do lots of exploring. Make sure your shoes are comfy. Happy feet = happy adventures.

ON BEATING JET LAG

http://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Ftravelvalley%2Ftravel-quotes%2F&h=0&w=0&tbnid=Mqoig9CszHkN_M&zoom=1&tbnh=188&tbnw=188&docid=lQ4WjI_HR1dKEM&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&ei=SIgJVIizDsvkaJ2FgsgG&ved=0CAIQsCUoAA
Jet lag is for amateurs

  • the most obvious is stay hydrated. Not with fermented grape juice or potatoes, but with water. As my Dad used to say when we were kids and complained that we were  thirsty, "Drink what the lions drink".
  • Walk around. Every hour or so get up and talk a walk to the bathroom or through the aircraft and see which unlucky flyers have the screaming baby. There is always one. 
  • Adjust your watch to the time at your destination. When you arrive avoid the temptation to go straight to bed, and only go to bed when it is night time there. 
 *



Read more by Tim Ferris - How to never check luggage again